As you may already know, businesses in the legal marijuana industry are operating under some of the tightest regulations in the free market. If we follow the story of alcohol prohibition in the early 1900’s until now, we’ll see that alcohol was, and still is, highly regulated as well. So, we can safely assume that this isn’t going to change for the cannabis industry anytime soon!
So, you can expect advertisers to treat cannabis industry websites differently than other retailers. There is something else you can do to get ahead of competitors, though. It’s a pretty simple concept, but I’d be lying if I said it was easy. You need to become a content creator, and provide truly valuable content to attract an audience. If you don’t have an audience yet, then think of that as a problem – start there!
If you are consistently putting out great content, and sharing it on all social networks like Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Medium, etc. – you’ll start to see the long term effects this has on your website’s traffic. Your website doesn’t get any traffic now because no one knows about you, and without advertising on your side you’ll be forced to take a different approach. So, start making content that somehow ties into your products and you’ll watch traffic and sales increase as a result.
….However, don’t expect overnight success! This strategy takes time to work, but don’t let that stop you from creating a podcast, a YouTube show, or informative articles that tie into your products and encourage your users to hand over their e-mail, and/or other personal information.
Need some help putting together a content strategy, or need some help with your website’s blog? Then, drop me a line using the form below. I’m always happy to help!
Here’s a checklist for you to help drive traffic to your cannabis industry website
- Create valuable content, publish it on the internet for free on your website and share all over social media networks
- Tie the content to your products some how, this is super important! Make sure all of your blog articles tie into your products somehow, and this will help convert viewers into buyers.
- Make sure you have google analytics configured to track form conversions, and pay close attention to what users are doing on your site
- Make sure your website is FAST. If you are using WordPress, then make sure you have cache and CDN setup so your website is performing at maximum potential.
- Make sure you have call to actions on your website, these sections should get the user to take action on something like giving their personal information or buying a product. First time visitors will rarely buy a product, so you should offer something for free in exchange for their e-mail, or other personal information. Then, you can begin marketing to them via e-mail, or phone.
- Your customers are much more likely to buy something after you’ve provided value to them somehow, usually for free. Just think about how you spend money online yourself, I bet you are probably pretty skeptical when visiting a new company’s website. Take this into consideration when setting up your website, you can’t expect people to buy from you unless your presentation is flawless.
- SEO(search engine optimization) is much more than code. It’s code, content, off-page and on-page, domain authority and many other factors. Don’t try to beat the system, just focusing on building your brand.
- The BEST SEO strategy of 2019, and on, is to build your brand. Become a thought leader, or influencer, in your market and you’ll start getting a lot more attention.
- More eyes usually means more sales, which is why advertising works so well. Since you can’t use paid advertising, you’ll have to get people’s attention some other way.
I hope this article was helpful for someone selling cannabis products online. Let me know what you think in the comments below, and as always feel free to contact me if you need any help with your website, or digital marketing strategy.
Thanks for reading, have a great evening!